Tuesday, April 12, 2011

New cookbooks

It's not that I've been neglecting the blog lately, it's just that we've had stomach flues again and again now and they do not help inspiring your cooking. Right now this feels like "The Year when I only ate sandwiches and take aways", but I don't know, hopefully this will change.

To combat the general murkyness that goes with staying at home being sick I've ordered stuff on the internet. And not just any stuff, I've ordered more cookbooks. So whenever we're ready for same great home cooked goodyness I will be ready!

These are the ones I've got, I'm starting with the English ones:

"Kansha - Celebrating Japans Vegan and Vegetarian Traditions" by Elizabeth Andoh. I'm widely impressed with her former book "Washoku" on Japanese home cooking, so I decided to get this one as well. Looks good this far.

"Moosewood Resturant Cooks for Health" by the Moosewood Collective. Before I had kids the Moosewood book were my go to everyday cookbooks. There are so many great vegetarian recipes in there. Based on dishes from all over the world. Unfortunately their style does not go down well with my son. But I still love them so I couldn't resist this one.

And the Swedish ones:

"Surdegsbröd" (Sour Dough Breads) by Marin Johansson. He has a great blog on sour dough baking.  I've been following it for a while now and decided it was time for me to give something back - so I got the book.

And saving the best for last:
"Om jag var din hemmafru eller hur man får en vardag att smaka som en lördag" (If I was your housewife or how to get a working day to taste like a Saturday) by Lotta Lundgren. The spirit in this one is like nothing I've encountered before, here is a small excerpt (translation errors are all mine):
"Pasta Bolognese, the Swedish households culinary equivalent of the missionary. A reoccurring everyday happening that most of us adults have mastered and do appreciate. But when time goes by we start to ask ourselves, isn't there something we could do to develop, refine or vary it? And then I say, have you ever tried it with a carrot?"

No comments:

Post a Comment