Sunday, September 26, 2010

Roasted Chicken with Carrot and Daikon Pickles and Greens

The Viet name of this chicken dish is Gá Rô-ti, revealing a relationship to the French Rotisserie Chicken. This has been my go-to technique for chicken lately because it's got the best "amount-of-work to taste ratio" of any chicken recipes I know of. You just pick out any cuts you like, dump them in a marinade for a while. The one suggested in "Into the Vietnamese Kitchen" contains lots of garlic, soy sauce, salt, pepper, sugar and oil, but you can really use any marinade. Then the chicken is put in a foil clad baking dish and baked in the for 20 to 40 minutes depending of the size of the pieces.

The vegetable chapter in "Into the Vietnamese Kitchen" is the only one I'm not completely happy with. There are not so many recipes and the vegetables used are not generally vegetables I'm very fond of. Daikon is used a lot. I'd love to like it but I just don't understand the East Asian fascination with it. That said, I still give it a chance every now and then to see if it has grown on me. In this salad it's grated with carrot and put into a sweet and sour brine. It's an ok side dish, but nothing I'll be doing again any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment