Thursday, December 2, 2010

Black Currant Liquorice Ice Cream

I've been wondering why there is plenty of black currant sorbet to go around but hardly any ice cream made with milk or cream. This is a mystery that just wouldn't leave me alone so I decided to make a batch of whole fat, creamy black currant ice cream to try out.

Included in this post is the recipe I used. I found that the dairy somewhat took the edge off the black currant flavour, but nonetheless, this turned out into a great ice cream. Black currants can be very dominating, so having them a bit mellowed down is not a problem for me.

And about the liquorice. After having mixed all ingredients for the regular black currant ice cream I started thinking, it tasted great, but maybe a bit predictable. Black currant and liquorice are two flavours that often come together in wines, especially in some very good  Australian Cabernets I've had. How would they work out in an ice cream?

They were spectacular! At first, putting the ice cream into my mouth I just felt the black currant fruitiness, but after a second or so the liquorice caught up. After swallowing, there was a lovely mix of sweet, tart and a little bit salt lingering in my mouth. This is defenetely a flavour combo I'll be working on.



Black Currant Liquorice Ice Cream

Serves 4 as a dessert.

250 gr. black currants
1/2 dl water
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 dl sugar
2 dl milk
1 tablespoon liquorice powder
2 dl heavy cream

Boil the blackcurrants in the water until mushy. Should take about 10 minutes.

Stir the egg yolks and the sugar in a bowl until foamy.

Heat the milk in a pot until it simmers.

Slowly pour the milk into the egg mixture, stirring meanwhile.

Pour the eggs and milk back into the pot. Heat carefully, stirring constantly, until "custard thickness" is reached. The eggs must not be overheated, as that will make them scramble, ruining the "smooth custard thing" we're trying to accomplice.

Pour the custard back into the bowl.

Add the berries by straining them through a sieve. Use the back of a spoon to press out all the juice.

Add the cream.

Stir in the liquorice powder.

Chill until "refrigerator temperature" is reached.

Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment