Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Black X-mas Pork

There is this flavour that I've been missing since I moved from Thailand. It's sometimes found in dark sauces served over pork on rice in tiny market stalls. And it's similar to the flavour of the broth usually served with duck noodles. It's not to far from Hoi Sin sauce and it's related to "5-spice" spice mix, but I've never been able to pin it down or find out what it's made from. Until now, that is.

Last Sunday my local Swedish newspaper had this feature on "X-mas dishes with an Asian touch" and there was this recipe named "Black X-mas Pork" that I decided to try out. I didn't follow it to closely, that just wouldn't have been me, but when I was done I nearly fainted. It was THAT TASTE. I had recreated it without having a clue in the world what was going on.

Black X-mas pork, picture is from www.dn.se
So here is the, improved by me, recipe:

Black X-mas pork

1/2 kg meaty pork ribs 
3 dl soy sauce
1 dl sugar
10 cm ginger, sliced into 1,5 cm slices
10-15 schezuan peppercorns
5 cloves of garlic, peeled and bruised
3 stars of anise
1 cinnamon stick
A generous splash of chinese black vinegar
Spring onions for decoration, cut into small pieces

Cut the meat into serving sized pieces.

Put meat along with all other ingredients, except the spring onions, in a pot.

Boil for about half an hour or until the meat is done.

Serve with rice and sprinkle the spring onions on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment