Monday, December 6, 2010

Clearing out the freezer

About a month ago I set out to clear out all those freezer jars full of leftovers. I'm all for reusing food. One days tortilla stuffing meat will make a grand contribution to next days chilli. But some stuff just doesn't get picked. Like those kids that are not very good at sports at gym classes. It just sits there at the back of the freezer, looking sadder and sadder every day.

So, I decided that I should try to make an effort to clear out all of them to make room for the upcoming X-mas leftovers, preferably by eating them. But the strange thing is, even though I thought, several times, "Ok, now I've cleared them all out", new (or actually older) jars seemed to appear the next time I opened the freezer door. Why I hadn't seen them before I do not know, probably something Freudian, but there they sat, staring at me with their sad, cold imaginary eyes.

This isn't a new phenomena for me, I remember thinking I had something like 3 freezer bags of rhubarb, but somehow, with me making rhubarb ice cream and cakes nearly every weekend, they lasted for about half a year. I remember thinking about Jesus and the fishes, but I really don't think there was anything like that involved.

But now, finally, I REALLY have cleared out my freezer. There is just lots of space, waiting for something new to happen. I'm so much looking forward to cook new fresh food again, not just coming up with ways to make unidentifiable brown mush with ice crystals on it seem appealing. YAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment