Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Chocolate Festival Loot

My main objective, going to the Chocolate Festival, was tasting lots and lots of chocolate, preferably for free, and maybe buy a few morsels as well to take home. The exhibitors were, of course, all into selling chocolate, luring innocent (or not so innocent) bypasses into spending lots of money on their warez by offering a first little taste for free. A marriage made in heaven!

I had set myself a mental budget of 500 Swedish Kronas (=74 USD). That much I could spend without having to feel bad about my chocolate habits. And I ended up on nearly exactly that. I also had a plan to skip most of the ready made pastries, truffles, boxes of chocolates etc. and instead go for more baking ingredient like stuff that can be harder to come by doing the everyday shopping.


First, the chocolate. Before going I had my mind set on buying a couple of Valhrona bars, but after a big tasting around I found this label, Barry Callenbaut. It was half the price from Valhrona and I thought it tasted at least as good. Also, the pellet format is much handier when baking, so I got these ones instead. There is 200 grams in each bag, and the chocolate is made from beans from Grenada, Madagascar, Ecuador, San Tomé, some palce starting with an F that I cant make out and then there is a bag of common white cooking chocolate as well.

"Plaisir Miel", a chocolate and honey paste. Similar to Nutella but with a more caramel like taste. According to the vendor, great in cakes and pastries.

Italian Licorice powder. Also for use in baking. I have never used it myself but it's supposed to be divine used in ice cream, panna cottas etc. I'm dying to find out.

Chocolate and sea salt covered almonds. This one I've already given away to my mother in law who babysat my 4 year old, giving me the free time to go to the chocolate festival.

Filipino unrefined sugar. I've been meaning to buy one of these for a long time.

I'd never seen one of these before so I bought it out of pure curiosity. The vendor told me they're commonly used in savoury dishes in South America. It contains cocoa and spices such as nutmeg and bay leaf and you're supposed to grate it in order to use. Will be interesting to try out!

Not chocolate at all, but salty licorice with a salmiak, chilli and cranberry flavour. This is, seriously, the best salty licorice I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment