Monday, October 11, 2010

Fava Bean Purée on Crackers

These beauties I picked up at the farmers market this weekend. I'm not sure what they are called in English, in fact I don't even know what they are called in Swedish, but I decided to put them to use in a recipe for "Crostini with Puréed Fava Beans". That couldn't be to far off the mark.

Green beans
A starter recipe with lots of steps, first, the beans had to be shelled:

Shelled beans, aren't they beautiful?
Then, they had to be boiled.
After boiling, the thick white skin on each bean had to be removed by hand, and an "inner bean", all spring green, revealed itself.
The "inner bean" was then mashed with salt and olive oil.
The last step was smearing the purée on crostinis, but since I didn't have any crostini on hand, I used crackers, like in the third pic:

Spread on crackers
And the taste? Well, they were ok. A bit like those dried green peas on can buy as snacks. But a lot of work considering the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment