Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dak Jjim - Korean Chicken Stew


A great winter dish, easy to make, containing cheap ingredients that most people (ok, at least me) tend to have on hand.

Fry up some chicken (it was supposed to be smaller pieces, but I had an idea that the chicken breasts would be juicier if I cooked them whole and cut them up at serving time. I'm not sure if I was right about this.) Throw in chopped onions, ginger and garlic. Then some cubed carrots and potatoes. A few shiitakes. Add some water, soy sauce and sesame oil. Let boil until chicken and veggies are all done. Serve with rice. That's it.

Note how Asians tend to treat potatoes as any type of vegetable, not as a sacred source of starch that must hog the whole meal. In most cases I prefer the Asian way.

No comments:

Post a Comment