Monday, February 28, 2011

Kimchi Potato Pancakes and Chilled Cucumber Soup


The recipe for kimchi potato pancakes from "Eating Korean" did not work out very well for me. The pancakes ended up crispy and good looking all right but there was just way to much salt in them. It might have worked if you weren't supposed to add lots of kimchi to the pancakes, but with both salt and kimchi  - no. 

But, if the food is to salty, add something sour - an old Thai cooking trick. The next day, in order to give the pancake leftovers a last chance (not to mention I didn't have anything else to eat for lunch) I decided to make a tart veggie side dish to go with them. I settled on "Chilled Cucumber Soup" (Oi Naengook), consisting of shredded cucumbers in a vinegar marinade.  


If you ask me how come that dish is called cucumber soup I really can't answer. It's not very soupy to me. Maybe I was supposed to shred the cucumbers finer. Or use smaller cucumbers to the amount of liquid. Or maybe the definition of soup is broader in Korea than here, I don't know. But the cucumbers and the pancakes hit it off just great, so in the end I did get a decent meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment