Thursday, February 3, 2011

Diet thoughts, pros and cons so far

A little summary of my dieting experiences so far:


Pros:
I feel a lot better, no lunch comas, more energy (as long as I don't forget to eat...) and a general lighter stomach feel. This is only true though when I eat a lot of veggies and beans and not just proteins. With only proteins there is a weird "thick" kind of bodyfeel. It's survivable but not that nice.

I do loose weight and muscle percent (vs. fat) is going up without much suffering.

Cons:
Unsocial. It might work to order a meal in a restaurant (i.e. meat/fish with a greenish salad) but the great Swedish tradition of fika is downright impossible. Ok, I can sit there with a cup of black coffee or plain tea, and ok, mabye stretch it to having a dark bitter little chocolate truffle, but that's just no fun.

Not PMS compatible. I never have had an issue with cravings, it doesn't happen a lot and when it does I normally just eat whatever I want thinking I must be needing this or that - no problem. But now, things are getting nasty. I'm not sure I'm above doing lots of bad things in order to get my hands on some dark chocolate cake with whipped cream. Or chocolate ice cream. Or just lots of oranges (I have given in to that one).

Iron levels seems to go down if I don't get meat every day, preferable with citrus fruits on the side. I've been very tired the last few days and I think it's iron deficiency (I had it while I was pregnant and it's just the same symptoms). I've upped my meat intake though and given in to my citrus fruit craving to facilitate the iron uptake. We'll see if it does any good.

Acetone breath. Shows up when there are no carbs to burn, but still not very pleasant.

Cooking takes more time and planning ahead than usual. You can't rely on sandwiches and pasta with parmesan whenever you feel hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment